Considering fashion blogs' increasing importance in the fashion world (and the controversy often associated to this growing ascent), I thought to myself "How have fashion bloggers changed the fashion industry or at least influenced popular perception of fashion?".
Well, it seems they have provided an everlasting source of inspiration accessible to many people (Going on Internet being much easier than attending fashion shows) making the fashion universe a whole less restricted. I don't think I would have ever developed an interest in fashion if people such as Tavi Gevinson and Susie Bubble (just dropping the names of two bloggers who have particularly inspired me and whom I look up to and admire) hadn't shared their point of view on style and fashion through their (awesome) blogs.
Blogs are such an easy way of communication (with easy inevitably comes dangerous but let's forget about freaky creeps on the Net for a sec (we've all had enough of our parents lecturing us about it anyhow) ). Anyone can write about anything they like (or dislike for that matter) and get feedback from anyone else. We do have to recognize how superb ( alternatives to awesome, anyone?) that very concept is. So, if on top of that, a blogger starts talking about fashion, a closed industry with a bad reputation, this concept just kind of becomes the epitome of superbness! Suddenly, people who thought they didn't care about fashion or never had the chance to care about it are given a glimpse into this industry and beyond that, the opportunity to contribute and participate in its evolution.
The more people take part in fashion (even if blogging is only in the smallest of ways), the richer the industry becomes. Diversity is good, diversity makes something more versatile, more beautiful, better really. What will this lead to in a couple of years? Will Internet help us find new talents? I am more than curious in getting all the answers to these questions but only time can tell.
Now coming back to what was supposed to be the topic of this post, inspiration, blogs will inspire our generation's for now unknown geniuses. As said above, blogs because of the fact anyone can start one, present a priceless diversity. So imagine the various styles that can be found on Internet! Blogs are so personal yet a plethora of Internet users can relate to them. And most important, each provides inspiration for their audience. Inspiration is at the basis of any artistic (and probably for any other type as well) creation, it drives people to put a finger on something nested in their minds and give it a name, making it something tangible. Of course, anything can inspire someone, a photograph, a film, a very precise moment, a face, a word and what makes fashion blogs great is that they do share such things on top of presenting outfits or in some cases, designs. It's not liking having knowledge at the "tip of your fingers" but something just as great and empowering.
I want to thank all the bloggers out there (we both know I really mean Miss Gevinson and Style Bubble) who inspired me to start my own blog and continually nourish my love for fashion (that sounds very pretentious, I don't mean it to). I've always liked fashion and kept notebooks with cutouts from magazines but fashion blogs have turned this fascination for fashion and style into something more concrete. Fashion bloggers have made me dare to try different, new thing with the way I dress and play with my clothing. Before, I'd see beautiful outfits in magazine fashion spreads and quietly think to myself how badly I wished I dressed that way. However, these were models on white backgrounds or foreign landscapes, there was no relationship between them and me. The distance thus established stifled any courage to wear different pieces than everyone else at school. Bloggers, because they seem so much closer with their beautiful yet amateur shots and authentic tones, narrow down the gap between common people and the fashion industry.
Bloggers inspire me and I do hope technology will evolve in a way so that they continue to.
A lil' snippet of "Evolving Influence":
No comments:
Post a Comment